Monday, May 26, 2014

mishmash monday

The baby robins have grown so much, and seem ready to leave the nest at any moment. I'm sure they are waiting until I go back to work, so no pesky dogs will be around.

They look like angry birds in this photo!  Boy was Mama angry at me for getting so close to her babies.
The propane tree sparrows are growing too.  A few more days, and I hope they leave the nest, so we can get some propane.

Agility Update

Chewy and I finally earned a Q last Tuesday!  I remembered the chicken this week!

Surprisingly, our Q was in the dreaded 'strategic time gamble' run.

I have absolutely NO 'strategic' moves for that game, I rely on lady luck instead.  Here's how the game from hell goes.....in the first 30 seconds, you gather as many points as you can. Fun times - run around the course at will, and your dog can do no wrong.  You need 15 points as a beginner, and we had 30!

Then,  a buzzer goes off, and you have to cross the finish line between some crazy nonsense like 12 and 17 seconds. If you're under or over that time frame, you don't Q.

SO, you're supposed to count seconds in your head, run, and handle your dog at the same time!  Who the heck can do that?  Not me.

I did plan to do 3 obstacles in the closing seconds, thinking that would time us about right.

But honestly, I have no idea how many obstacles we did in the closing, or even what we did, I was just running spastically, hoping for the best.   I even ran through the weave poles to get to the last jump.  I wasn't sure if I was allowed to do that!  Humans really aren't supposed to do obstacles.

Luck was on our side, and we made it!  Whew.  One more Q down for our beginners title.

Traditional gamblers was great too, but we didn't Q, because we missed a jump in the gamble.

For the gamble, I had to keep myself about nine feet away from Chewy while he did a curved tunnel, jump, straight tunnel, and then the last jump.

In the opening, I decided to send Chewy into the curved tunnel of the gamble to make sure he would do it, because he's been a bit wacky about tunnels lately.  If I stop my motion at all, he either won't go in, or pops right back out (we are working on that).  Took me 3 tries to get him to go in it...not a good sign!  But, when the buzzer sounded and it was time for the gamble, Chewy ran right thru the tunnel!  I couldn't believe it! Then, I messed up and did waaaaay to much cheering (really, I should've had some pom poms), and he came up to me looking for a treat, and we missed the next jump.  Totally my fault.  I could hear everybody groan.   But, I didn't!  We kept going ahead, and my super boy Chewy got back out there and finished strong on the last two obstacles.  We really haven't done a lot of distance practice, so I was pleased, and I think next time we will be successful.

Next Tuesday, we will be trying to qualify for nationals.
I'm the man!



Oreo got meatballs for his calm car matwork.
I had a 4 day weekend this week, and boy did I need it!   This is a tough time of year for me.  I get spring fever, my students get summer break fever, and it's hard to keep focused on all the stuff we need to accomplish before the end of the year.  

Nice to have a weekend to focus on nothing but relaxing and being outside.



Hope everyone had a good Memorial Day.  Thank a veteran today. 

9 comments:

Helen said...

Nice work, Chewy! Congrats on your Q. Looking good, Oreo. Glad you all enjoyed your long weekend.

Reilly-Denny Cowspotdogs said...

a calm weekend is always the best - and gosh it is good to see all that green again. The boys are looking so handsome and well done Chewy....nest week you will do it for sure :)

Caren Gittleman said...

YAY for Chewy!!! Best of luck with qualifying, you can do it!!! YAY for baby birdies!! YAY for your nice GREEN yard! xoxo

Bailey said...

Happy Memorial Day guys. Good job taking care of the birds.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

I like how u said u did the weave. They should award u with a medal. Can u just imagine the winners podium (like at the olympics). Sara gets gold and is standing on the middle podium, the two dogs are on either side getting the silver and bronze.

Diana said...

Congrats on your Q!

Dawn said...

Looks like a great memorial day weekend! Oreo and Chewy, you are BOTH DA MAN!

jasmine nile said...

thanks ,,,,,,,,,,,

Priscilla Phang said...

The baby birds are so pretty!

Yeah for Chewy! Both of you are excellent!

Hope all of you had a wonderful Memorial Day. Sorry that I visited your blog late, I've been enjoying life and sausages in Hannover with Rosie! Haha!