Saturday, November 22, 2008

brrr!

Oreo's class went better this week.

We got off to a rocky start though. It is so cold today, that they needed to turn on the heater in the building for the first time. They use a propane blower that is quite effective, but somewhat loud, and it blows right at ground level. Great for warming up hands and toes, but it kind of freaks the dogs out. It was positioned right at the end of the tunnel.

Where did we start class? Doing a tunnel, A-Frame, jump sequence.

Oreo was skittish, and refused to do his target at the end of the A-Frame. I was disappointed, because I had worked so hard all week on targets at home. He had done so well, and I wanted to show it off.

My teacher was understanding and said, "Oreo always hits his targets anyway. He'll be fine once we get away from the heater."

She was right. Once we got to the dogwalk, he was on the mark with his targets.

Oreo was also a bit freaked out, because there was a new person in our class this week, with a crazy border collie. Every time she let the dog off the leash, the dog ran all over the place completely out of control. Harmless, but it made Oreo very uncomfortable. I tried to keep Oreo in a happy zone every time that happened by feeding him hot dog.

Once that dog was finally leashed or crated, and we were back to our original mellow classmates and away from the scary fan, Oreo was ready for action.

My teacher said, "I think Oreo's a dog that just needs to get running."

Hmmm, I think I've heard that before.

I wanted to get running to warm up! Even with the heater, it was still cold in the building.

This week, Oreo was able to do a long sequence with the group standing nearby. I was nervous, because we had to do a table, and everyone was standing within three feet of the table. Good practice, since a judge will be standing near the table someday. I thought for sure Oreo would run right by the table to avoid going near everyone, but he hopped up, sat and stayed for five seconds. I was so proud of him.

We only have two weeks left in this class, but our teacher said she was willing to keep going ahead if the group wanted. I was so happy to hear that. I couldn't ask for a better group of humans and dogs, and it would be great to keep working and playing together.

1 comment:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Sounds like a good class - distractions and all - and Oreo was still able to do a great job! Glad to know your class is going to continue!